- 2 pounds idaho or russet potato
- 1 medium white onion, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Several fresh dill sprigs
- 4-5 tablespoons cream cheese
- Several slices smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced capers to taste
- Shred the potato and mix with grated onion. Using a clean kitchen cloth, squeeze the liquid out of the potatoes. Repeat the process until it's mostly drained.
- Combine the potato mixture with the beaten eggs, cornstarch, and salt. Microwave for 30 seconds. Drain liquid once more, if needed.
- Heat a pan with vegetable oil. Working in batches, grab 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form into small patties. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack lined with paper towels. Repeat the process.
- To assemble, spread cream cheese on one latke, and then top with salmon, red onion, capers, and dill. Close sandwich with another latke