- 250 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams butter, softened
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the coating:
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Makes 30 cookies
- In a large bowl, beat together the soft butter with the sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Beat the mixture until they are well combined, but there is no need for it to be light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg to the butter mixture and beat again until all the ingredients are smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients and pour them into the wet mixture and fold using a spatula until a stiff dough forms.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Mix together the cinnamon and caster sugar. Use a teaspoon to roll balls of dough, then roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar. Arrange on a baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has spread out and browned around the edges. Remove from the oven - they should look undercooked in the middle - and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.