- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 4 or 5 ears), plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for garnish
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 2-quart oval casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine corn, sugar and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, add eggs and milk and beat to combine. Add butter, cornmeal and nutmeg and whisk well until incorporated. Add corn mixture and whisk everything together.
- Pour the mixture into prepared dish, and sprinkle with salt and nutmeg. Place dish into a larger baking dish, then fill the larger dish with water until it reaches about halfway up the side of the corn-filled dish. Bake for 1 hour, until the center just jiggles. Let cool slightly, then top with fresh corn and basil sprigs before serving.