- 2 ½ tsp kosher gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- blue food colouring
- cooking spray
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pour 1/3 cup of cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the powdered gelatin on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar and ¼ cup cold water in a small pot and set to medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has melted.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pot and boil the sugar until it reaches 238F. Brush the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals stick to the sides. Remove the pot from the heat and stir until the sugar stops boiling. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the hot sugar to the gelatin and stir the mixture by hand whisking for a few minutes to slightly cool. Then beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 8-10 minutes, until soft peaks form. Add 1-2 drops of blue food colouring and mix until combined.
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Pour the marshmallow into the pan and smooth the surface. Allow the marshmallow to stiffen at room temperature for 6 hours, or overnight, until firm to the touch.
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and corn starch in a bowl and place in a mesh sieve. Dust over the surface of the marshmallow. Remove the marshmallow from the pan, flip over onto your work surface and remove the parchment paper. Dust the underside of the marshmallow with the sugar coating.
- Cut out shapes with a Star of David cookie cutter. Serve with hot chocolate and enjoy! To store, place in an airtight container with wax paper between each layer. These are best consumed within 24 hours.