- Hearty thick-sliced bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard
- Thick-cut ham slices
- Gruyere cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread Dijon mustard on a slice of already toasted bread. Add bechamel sauce on top.
- Next, layer a few slices of ham and enough grated Gruyere to cover the ham.
- Top with another slice of bread. Grate more Gruyere on top, and place in oven for 7 to 9 minutes, until cheese is bubbly. (If you need to, switch oven to broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.)
- Serve with mixed greens or simple salad.
- In a saucepan, add a drizzle of olive oil and saute baby spinach and leeks until cooked. Remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter then stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Add Dijon mustard, stir and then slowly add the hot milk. Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Grate in nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Add cheeses then return the cooked spinach and leeks to the pan.
- Let the sauce continue simmering for another 2 to 3 minutes.