- 3 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon culinary grade matcha powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 6 to 7)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches kale, ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Combine the butter, matcha and lemon zest in a small bowl. Carefully loosen the chicken skin, and spread the matcha butter mixture in between the skin and flesh.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add chicken, skin-side down. Cook 8 to 10 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until pieces are cooked through, another 6 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate. Add lemon, onions and garlic to the pan and cook while stirring for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add kale by the handful and toss together until cooked down.
- Add broth and toss some more. Return the chicken to plate and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken and kale mixture on top of basmati rice.