- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry puree
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1/4 cup red sanding sugar
- 12 mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until combined. Add strawberry puree, milk and butter. Add flour mixture and stir until combined. Scoop into 1-inch balls and roll into triangle-shaped cones that once fitted together will form a strawberry.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden.
- Set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar to combine. Add cornstarch and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until almost boiling. Pour 1/4 cup of warm milk to the yolk mixture to temper and stir to combine. Pour yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk, and cook for approximately 10 minutes until it thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and add in strawberry jam.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, taking care to press against the top of the pastry cream to prevent a layer of skin forming. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cookies have cooled, create a small hole in each of the strawberry halves, approximately 1/2 inch in size. Attach two halves together. Pipe filling inside each strawberry.
- In a small bowl, combine water and red food coloring. Place sanding sugars in a separate small bowl.
- Dip the strawberry in the red food coloring mixture, then dip in the sanding sugar.
- Top with mint leaves. Cookies will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container.