Layers of pound cake, strawberries and frozen cream form the perfect treat for the sunniest of afternoons.
Strawberry Lemonade Icebox Cake
- For the strawberry sauce:
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, diced and divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- For the lemon ice cream:
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup lemon curd, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1, 9x5 store-bought or homemade pound cake, tops, bottoms and sides trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 4 even slabs
- 1/2 cup store-bought lemonade
- Fresh strawberries and lemon slices for garnish
- To make the sauce, combine 3 cups of strawberries and remaining sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the mixture to a simmer for about 5 minutes until it begins to thicken and reduces by half, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with pieces of plastic wrap, long enough to drape over the sides.
- Place mascarpone, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon curd in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, and beat over high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and lemon zest and beat on medium-high speed until medium peaks form. Reserve 1/3 of the cream for serving.
- Place a layer of pound cake in the bottom of the prepared pan. Using a pastry brush, brush the cake with a light coating of lemonade, followed by a 1/4 of the lemon ice cream mixture, making sure to smooth the surface as much as possible.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the strawberry sauce evenly over the lemon cream and top with some of the reserved diced strawberries, followed by another layer of pound cake.
- Repeat the process with the remaining layers, freezing between layers if needed.
- Finish with a layer of lemon cream and a final layer of pound cake. Make sure to save about 1/2 cup of strawberry sauce for serving.
- Wrap the entire cake in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 10 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and invert the cake onto a cutting board. Peel off the plastic wrap and trim the sides of the cake with a knife.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter, and spread the top and sides of the cake with the reserved lemon cream.
- Serve the cake topped with lemon curd, reserved strawberry sauce, fresh strawberries and lemon slices.