Stuffed Apple Cake
Put down the apple pie and try this stuffed apple cake instead!
- 5 red apples (such as Gala, Jazz, or Discovery)
- 2/3 cup Medjool dates, pitted (3 ounces)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp dulce de leche
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Powdered sugar, to decorate
- For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the apples: Slice the top off the apples, and remove the core and some of the flesh. If possible, keep the stalk on the apples.
- In a blender, add the dates with the maple syrup, dulce de leche, heavy cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth and caramelly. Fold in the chopped pecans. Next, fill each apple with the filling, then replace the tops of the apples. Set aside.
- Make the cake: Grease a 9-inch fluted cake pan with butter, and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Next, fold the almonds, breadcrumbs, cornstarch, and baking powder into the mix.
- To assemble: In the prepared cake pan, pour the cake mixture. Place the apples into the pan and gently press down into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool. Dust with powdered sugar, and serve!