Stuffed Takumi Shrimp
Spice up your next holiday party with shrimp doused in a zesty mousse made with avocados, ginger, cream cheese, serrano peppers and more, all wrapped in a crispy, sesame-covered shell. Sponsored by Kikkoman.
- 1 pound jumbo 16-20 shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail on
- 3/4 cup Kikkoman® Original Teriyaki Takumi
- Avocado mousse:
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 scallions, light green and white parts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 serrano, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- To assemble:
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 16 to 20 spring roll wrappers (or egg roll skins)
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 cup black sesame seeds
- 1 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup Kikkoman® Sweet Chili Sauce, to serve
- Butterfly shrimp and place in a medium mixing bowl with Kikkoman® Teriyaki Takumi. Marinate while you prepare the mousse.
- In a small food processor, blend all the mousse ingredients together until smooth. Spoon into a pastry bag or quart zip-top bag.
- Shake the excess marinade off the shrimp and place open side up on a plate or tray. Cut a 1/4-inch tip off bag and pipe along the middle of the shrimp. Lightly close up shrimp until they just stick together.
- In a pot, heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Trim spring roll papers to 4x4-inch squares. Lay 1 shrimp down horizontally and brush the top inch of paper with beaten egg. Roll shrimp up away from you, sealing the top. Set aside and repeat until all shrimp are rolled up.
- On a plate or flat dish, mix sesame seeds together. Brush shrimp roll lightly with beaten egg and coat in the sesame seed mixture. Fry in batches until golden brown. Drain on a rack or paper towel-lined plate. Serve with Kikkoman® Sweet Chili Sauce.