- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup jam of your choice, strawberry or raspberry recommended
- Powdered Sugar
- Add the vegetable oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Attach the deep-fry thermometer to the pot and begin heating the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Add jam to a piping bag with a piping tip. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and the egg.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir the milk-egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then stir in the melted butter, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Once the oil has reached 350 degrees, use a small ice cream scoop to drop 1 tablespoon scoops of dough into the oil, careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the donut holes, flipping them in the oil, for about 2 minutes or until they're golden brown. Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer the donut holes to the paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Allow the donut holes to cool slightly. Using a second piping tip, core a little hole in the donut. Pipe in jam. Top with powdered sugar and serve immediately.