Summer Fruit Donuts
Strawberry cake donuts decorated as watermelons and pineapples using white chocolate.
Summer Fruit Cake Donuts
- 430g - 3 1/2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 265g - 1 1/4 cups caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 125g - 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 375ml - 1 1/2 cups full-cream (whole) milk
- 125ml - 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 drops pink food gel
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 tsp strawberry flavouring (optional)
- 800g - 4 1/2 cups white chocolate, melted
- 2 drops yellow candy food gel
- 2 drops green candy food gel
- 2 drops pink candy food gel
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
Summer Fruit Cake Donuts
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 140°C (275°F) or a conventional oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Spray a cake donut tin with oil spray and set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Next, add the softened butter and mix on low speed until the mixture reaches a crumbly, sand-like texture.
- Add the eggs, milk, strawberry jam, strawberry flavouring, pink food gel, oil and vanilla, and mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and mix for a final 20 seconds. It’s at this point that you can add any flavourings or food-gel colourings to the batter.
- Add the batter to a large piping bag. Snip off the end and pipe into the donut tin cavities.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then turn the tin over onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Dip half the donuts into the pink chocolate and the other half into the yellow chocolate.
- Place onto a cooling rack to allow to set.
- To make the Pineapple leaves, add some green chocolate to a piping bag fitted with a #3 piping tip. Pipe some leaf shapes onto a large piece of baking paper. Set aside to cool.
- Dip the ends of the leaves in more melted green chocolate and stick on the back of the yellow donuts.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a #3 tip and pipe a crisscross pattern on top.
- Dip the outside of the pink covered donuts in green chocolate. Allow to set.
- Pipe dark chocolate watermelon seeds on top of the donuts to finish.
- To prepare the chocolate, split into three bowls.
- Colour each one using the candy food gel colouring. Please note: this food gel is different to regular food gel colouring. This one is oil based and meant to be used with chocolate. Regular food gel colouring will cause chocolate to seize up.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE