Sweet Cherry Ravioli
Ben and Barry make sweet cherry dessert ravioli that throws all the boys for a loop.
- 100 grams plain flour
- 80 grams fine semolina
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs + 1 beaten for egg wash
- 200 grams fresh cherries, pitted
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 handful flaked almonds, toasted
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 milliliters double cream
- 60 grams caster sugar
- 1 shot kirsch
- 1 handful mint leaves, to serve
- Mix together the flour, semolina and the caster sugar. Zest the lemon (saving the lemon for the filling) into the mixture and make a well in the centre, then crack in the eggs.
- Combine the flour mixture into the eggs. Knead the dough until it forms a smooth dough then wrap it in clingfilm and store in the fridge for about an hour.
- Chuck the pitted and halved cherries into a saucepan with the sugar, then squeeze over the juice of the lemon. Cook the cherries over a low heat so the sugar forms a syrup then, then cool. Stir the icing sugar, flaked almonds and the cooled cherries into the mascarpone.
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Chuck them into a saucepan and pour over the cream. Bring the cream to a boil and leave to infuse with the vanilla for 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with the sugar and the shot of kirsch, then pour over the hot cream, whisking until very smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir continuously over a medium heat, until the custard thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Roll out the pasta into a long, thin rectangle and cut it in half. Position tablespoons of the filling onto one of the halves, about 10 centimeters apart. Brush egg wash around all of the blobs of filling.
- Lay the other pasta rectangle over the filling, pressing down around each blob. Use a cutter or a glass to cut circles roughly 10 centimeters across.
- Heat a pan of water to a rapid boil. Lower the ravioli into the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes before carefully draining.
- Arrange 3 raviolis in a pasta bowl, pour over the custard sauce and serve with a few extra flaked almonds!