- 2 large sweet potatoes (to yield 2 cups mashed)
- 1 cup low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- For burger: 4 whole wheat buns, 1 avocado (mashed), lettuce, and tomato slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil, and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until tender, about 30-40 minutes, and then set aside to cool.
- Add the sweet potato flesh to a large mixing bowl and mash half of it.
- Add black beans and mash half of them for texture as well. Add the quinoa, green onion, almond meal, cumin, paprika, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well and then form into patties.
- Cook patties in olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown, then carefully flip over and cook until golden brown on the other side.
- Place on burger bun, along with mashed avocado, lettuce, and a thick slice of tomato.