- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 large apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, add 3/4 cup sugar, water and 3/4 cup butter. Heat until butter has melted and mixture has caramelized. Pour into a round baking dish.
- In another pot, add remaining sugar, remaining butter and the vanilla bean. Cook until butter melts, then add the apples and cook for for 15-20 minutes.
- Layer apples on top of caramel in baking dish. Top with puff pastry, folding edges over to fit in pan. Pierce pastry with a fork in several places to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350°F. Remove from oven and flip tart over onto a serving plate.