The Grinch's Roast Beast
It takes a hearty meal to be as cuddly as a cactus and as charming as an eel, so why not make it a bone-in ribeye?
- 1 (5-pound) bone-in rib eye roast
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle stout beer such as Guinness
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, pepper, salt and olive oil.
- Pat roast dry and place in a shallow baking pan. Generously coat all sides with spice mix. Marinate, uncovered in the refrigerator, for 1 hour.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot on high and brown roast on all sides. Add butter, garlic, bay leaves and fresh herbs. When butter melts, add broth, beer and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Braise until meat is very tender, up to 2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the pan and rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, strain the pan juices and return to the pan. Boil until reduced by half. Serve sliced roast with pan sauce.