Thousand Layer Cookies
Little known fact: the name actually refers to how many of these you'll want to layer on your plate.
- 1 cup butter, unsalted and at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups bread flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate, finely chopped (good quality, at least 35% cocoa solids)
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, add the whole egg and egg yolk then beat until combined, followed by vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually, add the dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and shape each into a 4 × 6-inch rectangle.
- Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and unwrap the dough rectangles.
- On a lightly floured work surface, place 1 rectangle dough and sprinkle half of the chocolate evenly over the rectangle.
- Top with the second piece of dough and sprinkle the remaining chocolate over the second piece of dough, then finally top with the third dough.
- Dust the top piece of dough lightly with flour, then gently roll the stack of dough until it is about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Use a 2-inch round cutter to cut as many rounds as possible from the dough.
- Transfer the rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet, place 2 inches apart to allow spreading. You can gather all the scraps of dough together into a mound and cut additional cookies out.
- Cover the baking sheet loosely with saran wrap and refrigerate the cookies for at least an hour.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes until the edges of the cookies are set. The centers will seem really soft and under-baked, but they’ll set up as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE