FRITOS® BBQ Pork Empanadas
Recipe Written by Eden Westbrook // @sweet_tea_thyme
- ¼ cup FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 ¼ cups warm water + 2 tbsp water (amount may vary depending on environmental humidity)
- 2 cups pulled pork
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Vegetable oil
- Grind the FRITOS® Original Corn Chips into powder using a high powered blender, food processor, or spice grinder until the chips become a find powder. Use a mesh sieve to sift the powder from the larger bits, if desired.
- Prepare the empanada dough in a large bowl, mixing the masa harina, FRITOS® chips powder, and warm water to form a ball. Using clean hands, knead the dough until smooth and well-hydrated; it should feel like very soft play-dough and not stick to your hands when it’s ready. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before continuing.
- Mix the BBQ sauce and pork together in a bowl with a spoon, set aside.
- Bring about 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) in a dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet.
- Divide the empanada dough into about 10 equal-sized balls. Then one by one, press each of the balls in a tortilla press wrapped in plastic wrap or between two heavy plates covered in plastic wrap so the dough doesn’t stick. Press the dough to make a thick circle, so don’t press too hard and make it thin like for a tortilla. If you do, you can roll it back into a ball and try again.
- On one half of the dough, add a small amount of cheddar cheese and about 1 tablespoon of pork, leave plenty of room at the edges. Then fold the other side over to create a half moon, pressing down well on the edges to seal. Use fork tines to ensure there are no holes in the edges and they’re well sealed.
- Gently place the empanadas into the oil, laying them away from you for safety. Fry on each side for 2 minutes each, flipping with tongs. Remove the cooked empanadas from the oil with tongs and place them on a baking sheet lined with a wire cooling rack to drip excess oil. Let cook for a couple of minutes before enjoying.
- Makes 10 empanadas.