- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20
- Kosher salt
- 1 small onion, small dice (about 1 cup), divided
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup carrot, small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup stock
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups FRITOS®, finely crushed
- 16oz frozen tater tots about (50)
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Brown the beef: In a 8 or 9 inch saucepan over medium high heat 2 tablespoons of butter and sweat half the onions for 10 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add the ground beef breaking it up in the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Using a slotted spoon, place the ground beef in a medium bowl and reserve. Pour out any remaining liquid.
- Make the soup: In a medium saucepot over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Sweat out remaining half of the onions along with carrot, celery and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. When all the water has cooked out of the vegetables and beginning to lightly brown, add 3 more tablespoons of butter to the pan and the flour. Stir and toast the flour among the vegetables and when lightly golden brown, add the milk and stock, stirring gradually and breaking up any lumps. Allow to heat through, bubble and thicken for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the FRITOS® topping: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add parsley, garlic and cook until fragrant. Add 1 cup finely crushed FRITOS® and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Grease 8x8 baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add ½ of the ground beef mixture, ½ peas, ½ soup, 1 handful lightly crushed FRITOS®, 1 handful shredded cheese and repeat. Lay the tater tots in a single layer. Sprinkle the herb FRITOS® mixture over the tater tots and bake for 40 minutes, until the tater tots are golden and crispy.
Introducing Trips by Tastemade. Details here.