- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place milk in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Gradually bring to 200 degrees, monitoring the temperature with a kitchen thermometer, and stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Let sit 10 minutes, then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer set over a large bowl.
- Let drain 10 to 30 minutes, until the cheese reaches your desired texture, squeezing out the excess liquid if necessary. Store up to 1 week in the fridge.