- 3/4 pounds flank steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, picked and bruised with fingers
- 1 cup spinach, sautéed
- 3 slices provolone
- 1 Fresno chili, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup beef demi-glace
- Place flank steak between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound out to 1/2-inch thick. Add to a large Ziploc. Add olive oil, smashed garlic cloves and rosemary. Seal and let marinate for 2-8 hours.
- Lay marinated steak flat on a cutting board. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Place 3 slices provolone on top of the steak, leaving 2 inches bare across the bottom. Top with a layer of sautéed spinach and pepper strips. Roll as tightly as possible, skewering to secure. Season roll. Dredge with flour.
- Heat butter and sear roll in a hot pan, basting with a spoon. After searing on all sides, deglaze with red wine and demi-glace. Simmer, flipping meat occasionally, for 25-35 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice steak and serve with red wine sauce.